Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Closing thoughts on a wonderful opportunity…

 James Garst
Andrew Lewis Middle School
Salem, VA 24153

I recently had the opportunity to wrap up the third workshop of the TTEC Series. Throughout the course of the day, I had the opportunity to reflect on the program as a whole and plan how the program will impact my school.

As an administrator in the program, my experience has been quite different. The workshops have provided me with a skeleton framework that I can now provide to teachers in my school that are interested in pursuing the TTEC theme in their classroom. I also have been able to create a unique hiking club geared primarily towards getting at risk youth working and hiking on our beloved Appalachian Trail.

Most importantly, the program has instilled an everlasting love of the Appalachian Trail and all of the hidden magic it beholds. After the final workshop, I took my two young sons (Jackson- 4 and Parker-2) hiking on the AT for the first time together. (Jackson had previously done a few shorter hikes with me). We walked south form the 311 parking lot in Catawba, VA. We only walked about half a mile before we encountered a beautiful view of the entire Catawba Valley. 

Both Jackson and Parker signed the trailhead register for the first time . Their chicken scratch toddler writing was proudly posted next to the poetic lines of thru hikers and day hikers alike. 
Most importantly, the program has instilled an everlasting love of the Appalachian Trail and all of the hidden magic it beholds. After the final workshop, I took my two young sons (Jackson- 4 and Parker-2) hiking on the AT for the first time together. (Jackson had previously done a few shorter hikes with me). We walked south form the 311 parking lot in Catawba, VA. We only walked about half a mile before we encountered a beautiful view of the entire Catawba Valley. Both Jackson and Parker signed the trailhead register for the first time (picture). Their chicken scratch toddler writing was proudly posted next to the poetic lines of thru hikers and day hikers alike. 



We played ‘follow the white blaze’ each taking turns being the leader. We played the traditional hide and seek at our destination. We also played ‘pick up the trash’ – a game that daddy invented on the walk out. While I was supposed to be counting during our epic game of hide and seek, I sat quietly and for once felt I had a true appreciation of what the AT is and what it stands for.

I returned to school the following week rejuvenated and inspired to continue on with the hiking club. Our first meeting was a true success with 22 kids showing up. Our next meeting will be spent planning the spring semester so we can get out on the trail!

Happy trails to the wonderful folks with the ATC and those hands that helped the TTEC program!

No comments:

North Carolina NCCAT participants

North Carolina NCCAT participants
At the Wayah Bald Fire Tower

Mary Jane

Mary Jane
On top of Silers Bald